Thursday, March 29, 2007

Betting on yourself : A lesson in self confidence

I just finished watching a documentary on the Dixie Chicks titled "Shut up and Sing" - it's all about the debacle surrounding the comments that Natalie made in the UK on the eve of the Iraq war. The film gave us a glimpse into their lives on tour, the writing and recording of their new album and how they dealt with the media and surrounding circus that ensued that painted them in a negative light.

I remember buying their new CD on the day it was released - at Target so that I could be eligible to purchase tickets early for their tour. I was on my cell phone as I walked into the store - I was talking to my best friend, Mel. I told her what I was going to Target for and I remember her reaction "You listen to the Dixie Chicks!" - it was more a surprised reaction than a negative one. She hadn't heard their song "Not Ready to Make Nice" and she wasn't familiar with their new sound. I don't hold that against her, especially now that she's loving the Chicks after introducing her to their new album when she was here earlier this month.

In the film, there's a scene where they're discussing the upcoming tour and their projections on ticket sales. There was some option on the table that would give them insurance against losses (in case the tour was a flop) or they could put themselves out there and deal with the consequences....in essence, fly without a net. It could have meant potential financial losses on their part, but one thing that struck me was how Natalie was so adamant against taking the easy way out - opting for the "insurance policy" She said how PO'ed she'd be if she took the safe way out and then the tour ended up selling out. She wanted to bet on herself - have confidence that they would succeed in the end. It's that brazen attitude that I love. One lesson from tonight's movie - bet on myself more. Take risks and trust myself. Self confidence has never been a strong point for me, but it's something I'm working on. From now on, I'm betting FOR myself - it's a sure way to stay motivated to continue to succeed.

Oh, and if you're wondering...we DID go to their show at Philips Arena in Atlanta and it was excellent and I didn't give a crap about what anyone else thought about it...

Till next time...

Desi

No comments: